- Female genital mutilation (FGM) includes procedures that intentionally alter or cause injury to the female genital organs for non-medical reasons.
- The procedure has no health benefits for girls and women.
- Procedures can cause severe bleeding and problems urinating, and later cysts, infections, infertility as well as complications in childbirth increased risk of newborn deaths.
- About 140 million girls and women worldwide are currently living with the consequences of FGM.
- FGM is mostly carried out on young girls sometime between infancy and age 15.
- In Africa an estimated 101 million girls 10 years old and above have undergone FGM.
- FGM is a violation of the human rights of girls and women.
In search for some back up facts to support the reading I ran over these key facts above (http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs241/en/). The issue is those with emotion and connection to the modern world find it inhumane. The argument is culture. The defense is social structure for those specific communities. The iron wall is the respect to a higher power, belief, and tradition.
I am a man of contemporary measure and have practiced religious beliefs that have changed in the past few years to accommodate the lifestyle change of technology. Righteousness is as perennial as the seasons. What is right is wrong in time and what is wrong is right and is wrong again. There is never a legitimate argument for any major debate that can swat an entire peoples. FGM is no exception. But in my eyes, it is ignorant for some parts of societies to do this to their women.
Did sacrificing a person to King Kong every week stop his rampage?
Did blood on an Aztec altar really bring rain for the upcoming season?
Does FGM make women closer to God?
The sad thing is FGM is an excuse. It is backwards thinking and hopefully it is not a part of our future civilized culture. There are 1,000 ways to deny a woman an orgasm without the medical complications and death rate that follows. I have yet to hear about a culture falling apart and going into massive chaos because a tradition was changed. Shifting cultures actually thrive in this world. The sooner we can shift from FGM to a non-surgical chastity, then the more lives we’ll save. My real irk about this whole thing is the minute that blade cuts skin, they’ve taken the life of the present woman and the future baby of that human they may birth. Culture is important but what is culture to the dead, suffering, and depressed?